Today was a wonderful stay home day! I am amazed at how well Kalie is doing in school. When she is given a little bit of “control” she goes above and beyond what I would have required.
A little backtrack… when Kasie and Katie were in the last half of the 7th and 8th grade and then the entire 8th and 9th grades they were homeschooled. I was working full time and Bill was the “daily supervisor”, I made all of the lesson plans and corrected about 1/3 of their stuff with Bill or the girls doing the rest of the corrections. The girls were given their “plans” on a quarterly basis (every 3 months, as we schooled year round). They learned very fast that if they worked really hard, were disciplined and finished early then they would have time off. So by the 3rd 9 weeks, they would work very hard for about 6 weeks and then have almost 6 weeks off. They still had some daily work but a majority of their lessons were completed.
Fast forward 4 years. I am now sharing the “plans” with Kalie. I have given her the option of working hard and long on a few subjects (that she doesn’t like) so she would have to do them less often during the week. She finished the entire week’s math and reading lessons in 2 sittings (instead of 5). Now what she doesn’t know is that most of the games we play during the rest of the week when we are not “doing school” really are learning games. LOL!
When she works hard and fast we also have lots of time to work on lapbooks (we have 5 or 6 going at once right now), our pioneer study and her Animal Notebook (science). These are the things that she loves.
Hope everyone else had a great day!
Sunday, March 9, 2008
Thursday ~ Stay Home Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment