Thursday, February 28, 2008

Friday ~ Busy day!

Friday we met Katie (oldest daughter) and Scott (the autistic boy she does ABA therapy with) for a “day out”. His mom was at the first IEP meeting with the school district, he will start 4K in August.

Our plans were to go to Monkey Joes (an indoor jumping fun fest which could have been a great long activity) but with the cold, rainy weather it was packed. Not a good idea for a 7 year old with anxiety and a 3 ½ year old with autism. So … we went to the Greenville Zoo (we have a membership so it was free). It was so cold, but nice because we had the place to ourselves. We spent about 40 minutes in the reptile house (They loved the icky, slimy, gross things!) and about 40 minutes on the rest of the Zoo. We went out to lunch at Mellow Mushroom which has the best pizza, pita bread and hummus in the world! After we finished we headed over to the main library to check out their children’s section. Robin (Scott’s mom) met us there. After about 45 minutes there we went to Chick-Fil-A to have Lemonade and playtime. We lasted there about 30 minutes. (His limit before he gets agitated is about 20-30 minutes, I thought we did well.) I then suggested that we go back to my house to play! I was getting tired. LOL! Everyone came back home. Kalie and Scott played for an hour.

The day made me realize how fortunate I am to have such great kids! Kalie was so kind and patient with Scott. She let him be the leader and followed very well the entire day. She tried to comfort him if he seemed as if he was getting anxious. She also tried to “do therapy” with him copying Katie’s example. It was very cute. Kalie would have made a great big sister. I was also so impressed with the woman my daughter Katie is becoming. She was very professional and kind to Scott. She kept a watchful eye all day and did an amazing job!

I know that she is following the path she should. It takes a special person to commit themselves to work with Special Ed. Katie wants to teach SE for 4 to 6 years to pay back her forgivable loans. While she is doing that she wants to work on getting her masters in Autistic Therapy. Her main goal (passion) is working with autistic kids. I am so proud of her!

Kalie and I had to leave at around 3:45 because we had a Girl Scout Cookie Booth. The booth sale went wonderful! We sold 76 boxes of cookies in 2 hours! Yea us! (To quote London Tipton. LOL!) Our troop is doing wonderful! The day ended with Katie and Kalie playing video games. They laughed and had quality sister time. It was a great day!

0 comments: