Thursday, April 10, 2008

Our Yard

OK I need help, A LOT of help. Kalie wants to "fix our backyard so it is not so disgusting and ugly" and plant a garden (vegetable and flowers). I am so not a gardener or an outside creating girl. LOL! I need help and advice and links. I am handy with simple tools and building projects.

I would like to create an outside living area for our family that is fun inviting and cheap. We rent and the landlord will let us do almost anything to improve the yard at our expense. I do not want to invest a lot of money in permanent improvements beyond some plants.

I have done a search of library books for gardening with children. I am waiting for them to come in. A suggestion of a good book would be wonderful.

I would like to surprise her by build a simple swing set, A frame with 2 swings. I tried to find free plans online but had no luck. I do not want to spend $50 on plans as our budget for the "total improvements" is about $150. I would also like to build some type of inexpensive shelter to provide shade. We have no trees in our yard.

I think a raised bed would be the best for our vegetable garden as we have the "red clay" yard. I need suggestions of plants that would be easy to grow and would produce food for her.

HELP!

1 comments:

flmom said...

We have some land in northeast GA not far from the SC border and I have a feeling if we ever get to move there that we will find it is a lot of red clay. Right now it's pretty heavily wooded in pines so it would have to be cleared. We've walked it a few times, but it's so wooded that it's hard to tell a whole lot about it.

Anyway, check your local library for a book called Lasagna Gardening. You can build a bed to "cook" or plant in it right away. We did our bed last fall and let it cook over the winter so we could plant back in February. Another thing I would suggest is to search your library for gardening books written specific to your area/state. Those should give you a good idea of what will grow best in your climate and the times of year to plant.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/thisopenroad/
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/naturalpaths/