Phase 1 of the "Big Beautiful Back Yard" has begun.
(I am working on some of the front yard, too.)
First Step ~ Wal-Mart for the beginning of purchases (ouch!). We bought:
- 4 trays to start our seeds @ $4 ea.
- a hose @ $6
- a hose hanger @ $2
- 2 bags of organic flower/vegtable potting soil @ $2.50 ea.
- 2 bags of grass fertlizer/starter @ $3.75 ea.
- 12 pkgs. of seeds @ average of $1 ea.
- 3 pots to make a strawberry container/tower @ $6
- 6 large pkgs. of sunflower seeds @ $1.50 ea.
Total $63.50
My first job was to mow the lawn. The lawn mower is not working, I will have to take it to be repaired tomorrow. So I weed wacked around the front poarch. We found this bush that was blooming. It is small but maybe it will grow bigger. Our new hose is peeking out from behind. Where this bush is we do not want grass, we want to put flowers there. I wish I could move this lush grass to the bare spots in the front yard.
I raked and watered the large bare spot in the front yard. Kalie and I sprinkled the grass fertlizer/starter all over. We will add grass seed in a few days.
One of the neighbors moved out and left this pool in their side yard. The landlord said we could have it. It has a small crack so the water leaks out slowly, but Kalie had a wonderful time in it today and it was free. I might buy her the colored sand she wants from wal-mart and use it as a sand box for her and try to get her a larger pool for swiming. (That's Izabel in the corner, we call her puppy-wuppy.)
Kalie planting all of her seeds. She is loving this. We planted a tray of green beans (climbers), some corn, yellow squash, zucchini squash, watermellon, marigolds, black eyed susans, morning glories, cantalopes, johnny jump ups, daisies and onions.
Our "baby seeds" in their bedroom for the night. LOL! Kalie read them a story and told them all good night. During the day we will set them in the sun.
Next Step ~ Lowes & Farmers Market (next weekend)
We need to buy wood to build the garden boxes and pvc to build the green bean tunnel.
We are going to buy the tomato and strawberry plants from the farmers market at their annual sale May 2-4.



1 comments:
Well, I'm sure it's because I have gardening on the brain, but if that little pool ever stops holding water, it would be a TERRIFIC container for a garden!
One year, that's what we used for our pepper plants.
You're doing great - square foot gardening is fantabulous - they have a website, too, if you want to take a peek! I *love* this method!
Post a Comment